Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Delhi on Feb 14 was agog with excitement and it would be understating it to say love was in the air. There was no way I could hope to catch a movie on telly or listening to FM without being innundated with syrupy sugary mushy sticky... eeky outpurings. Come to think of it even the news channels provided no solace. V DAY coverage was done with great deal of gung-ho.
You have the choice of TV with Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing and When Harry met Sally. No luck with the faithful radio either, it has been invaded too.
By now I am sinking in despair and am seriously contemplating getting medical help. Seriously there must be something wrong with me. My crime? Oh well I dont have that "special someone" I can't remember that "tingling sensation of the first kiss when you felt on top of the world as well as depressed both at the same time"
"You must experience that feeling of unconditional love, raves the supposedly know all psychatrist on the FM channel. Did i say something about medical help? Well I take it back right away.
Frankly, believe me I have nothing against the day. I fact I am a sucker for romance and simply adore the Romeo-Juliet --Laila-Majnu stories.
But the situation can get a lot depressing if you are expected to make a public display of your Valentine who would shower you with roses, chocolates and gifts. Perhaps you might call it a case of sour grapes. Yours truly is still single and currently not in any romantic relationship. (Did I hear an Aha!)
It is surprising aint it that Murphy with his law always manages to upset your plans. I was content to come to work as usual and labour away doing cosmetic surgeries, chisseling, pruning, remodelling stuff about other people. A colleague bullied me into exchganging my off with her and thus was stuck at home with nothing to do and nowhere to go.
The answer to my prayers was a witch! I got invited to spend an evening with a witch at a local popular book store here.
Well, she would keep at least a million broom's length away from the V word. No such luck! the witch was called by a popular bookstore to chant greek chants for the V day crowd and disperse love to them!
Stupid Cupid!
But I had fun. Was amused to see a lot of anxious people gheraoing the witch for answers to their love life. Donning a pale grey gown the witch with her crystals and rose bowls , athena and whatsay not recounted intresting tidbits about female power.
At the end of it all me too got a parchment (a quarter sheet of an A4 size recycled paper) in which she had drawn somesort of charm which promises to "help me get my soul mate" :)
So the sun has finally set on the D Day. And I am still alive. And, I got a parchment. Should i say Yipeee!!
 
posted by The Friendly Ghost at 9:07 AM |


0 Comments: